Okay, so it's been hooply-pooply-crazy around our homestead lately. But now that we have a place to live--besides the rescue mission--I figure it's time for me to update y'all on the whole scenario. So take a seat and pull out your boredom blockers--yer gonna need 'em.
Why We're Moving
We adore our current house, our current neighbors, and our current neighborhood. So why move? Well, our dear duplex-mates co-own the house with their (his) parents, who recently retired from the mission field and plan to move "home." We've known since we moved in that this was the situation, but in the meantime, their house has been a great place for us to land. Did I mention they are people of the fabulous sort? Yes. Yes they are.
Finding Another House
I've been searching the craigslist ads for a good six months or so now. I mean, if that isn't a barrel of fun, I don't know what is. As April approached, we heard of a friend of a friend who was moving out of the area, but wanted to rent out her house for a few years. We jumped at the chance and got everything ready for the move (which was scheduled for May 1). Long story short, the owners (very kind, gracious people, I might add) got their house ready to sell in record time, and decided to go that route instead. We could have still lived there, but took the risk of having to move shortly after moving in. So, we hit a big "undo" button on that plan, and went back on the search.
At that point, we had just one month to find a different place to live. I'm guessing that in two weeks' time, we called on over twenty options, and dragged the kids through many of those homes. No doubt what the kids will remember most about those tours is the little "speech" Pa and I would give them in the van right before going in. No talking, no running, no questions, no commentary, the end. They've rode the emotional roller coaster right along with us--thinking that each house "might be the one!" only to be disappointed, say, twenty or so times.
As a side note, it's been an educational experience figuring out the types of things Pa and I look for in a house. And by "educational" I mean, "relationally stretching."
Just when we were hours away from choosing among three "it'll do" kinds of houses, the same friend who told us about the first house told us about another house she knew that just came available. And that house is where we have chosen to live.
Our New House
Our new place is situated about ten minutes north of where we live. Still in the heart of the city, which makes me happy. I like being close to the action where the kids have access to many opportunities and where the diversity is the highest.
The thing that makes me so happy about the house is that it suits us. I couldn't have designed anything better than what it is. It's old enough to have charm, and big enough for us to live in. As someone who is home nearly 24/7, I value having a place that is "livable." The house has a basement (which is highly unusual around here) that is finished and four (four!) bedrooms, one which we'll use as an office. And two bathrooms, THANK YOU JESUS.
What also tickles my fancy is that the house has a backyard (a back! yard!), which we've not had for the past three years. (We currently live in the front half of a duplex.) The kids are super-excited about that, and I am without a doubt looking forward to throwing open the welcome mat and giving the neighbors a place to kick back and relax.
The owner has told us that he eventually wants to sell the house. What makes this scenario (versus the first one) different for us is that a) we like the house enough to buy it, b) we have a chance to "test-drive" the house first to see if we like it, and c) we have a year or so to come up with a (hefty) down-payment. Which we will find buried in the backyard, of that I am certain.
When We Are Moving
We have rented a truck for this Saturday, so all our junk will be hauled across the city then. Meanwhile, I'm cleaning our current house, and when I get bored of that, I clean some more. Good times. Oh, and I squeak a little of Campers' school in--but we are nearly done and will be off for the summer soon. (Ziggy has been done for a week now.)
I'll get an address sent out to immediate family soon, but for those who like to keep their address books updated, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you our new address too.
And Now A Short Word From Our Sponsor
You know, I'm not one to use a bunch of God-speak (being careful to not put words in his mouth), but through the whole (stressful) process I kept hearing "wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...." and being a person of faith for a loooong time now, I knew, knew our house wouldn't come through until the last minute. That didn't stop me from shouting this and this from the breakfast table, but surely God is over that by now. Many of you have prayed so faithfully for us, and for that I say "thank you." And I also say, "come help us move visit."
(Nap's over. Hope it was a good one.)
Now...back to my regularly-scheduled crazy!
Now...back to my regularly-scheduled crazy!