Sunday, July 11, 2010

Simple Woman: July 11, 2010

For today... July 11, 2010 

Outside my window... is a rose bush with its first yellow blooms. Seeing as yellow is my favorite color of rose, the flowers are a daily dose of happy. Now what would make me more happy is knowing how to take care of the plant so it lives on to keep making me happy. Two very difficult things to do.

I am thinking... about our Redbox movie marathon this past weekend. Invictus on Friday and The Young Victoria on Saturday. Both historical flicks. Wow. Geek-o-rama.

I am thankful for... thirteen years of marriage with one of the wisest guys on the planet. And I mean that both ways. Our anniversary is Monday the 12th.

From the learning rooms... sit most of our new books for next year. Resting. And waiting to be used.

From the kitchen... I made steak the other night the Alton Brown way. We rarely eat beef anymore, so that was a rare treat. And by "rare" I mean, "well-done."

I am wearing... shorts. Blessed yet blasted-gotta-shave-the-legs shorts. Summer finally showed up in the Pacific Northwest on the 7th of July and lasted approximately three days. Jeans back on the schedule this week.

I am creating... a list of 36 Latin root words for the kids to learn this next school year. Don't try and out-geek me!

I am going... to blog about our recent trip to the high desert region of Oregon. I will. I said I will and I will!

I am reading... lots and lots about organic church, homeschooling, and the travel spots of Oregon. Summer is a regrouping time for me, both a time of rest from the hustle of the school year and prep for the year to come.

I am hoping... to start meeting more of my new neighbors. Always takes a while, but I really like knowing and shooting the breeze with the people around me.

I am hearing... water squiring out from three Max Liquidator Eliminator. Easily one of our favorite summer toys. Five bucks each at Wal-Mart.

Around the house... are four extra mattresses (that were in the house when we moved in) being put to use. Pa and the kids used them to sleep in the basement when the temps got above 90. NINETY!

One of my favorite things... is the cool of a summer morning. Our breakfast table sits right by the backyard window, and I love cracking it open to enjoy the morning breeze. Ahhh...

My plans for the week... include getting all five of us out the door by 7:30 AM (that's in the morning, by the way!) one day so we can take the van for an oil change. I know! Who was the dork who scheduled THAT?!      (me)

Here is picture I am sharing... of Suz and her two China-twin friends in town for a visit this past week. It was their first sleepover together. So, so, sweet. And yes, the Suz usually wears a barrette to keep the mop out of her face, for those who are wondering.