Monday, August 9, 2010

Fish Tale

At the end of the school year, the kids and their homeschool friends (and families) went fishing at a stocked trout farm. Now, I don't know about you, but my memories of fishing include eight hours of searching for worms followed by eight hours of sitting in the hot sun. Where, I should mention, I was holding a heavy pole that I baited myself and was likely being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

But kids these days. Got it so easy.

We showed up at the farm where there were poles, buckets, and containers of worms ready and waiting to be used. And the pond was a virtual breeding ground of trouty goodness, which means every kid made a catch or two and therefore got to fish sans meltdown and tears.

What's the fun in that?

(Oh. I kid.)





Joking aside, it was a fun trip and a great way for the kids to fish without a bunch of hassle or expense. And we topped it all off with a group cookout on the grounds, where most families grilled their fresh fish, and we grilled a package of hot dogs. As Pa likes to say, "I like a little distance between me and my food." Me too, me too. 

(We ended up eating our three small fish at home the next day. Cooked them in the oven. As God intended.)