Tuesday, April 19, 2011

We Came, We Saw, We Arbored

We recently celebrated Arbor Week--did you? Mmm-hmm, that's what I thought. Guess we care a little bit more about trees than you do.

Our local arboretum ("arbor" for "tree" and "etum" for "chow down") had a guided walk one day so we decided to learn about magnolia trees. Well, we decided to learn all about magnolia trees for about 15 minutes and then conveniently disappeared into the arboretum, forging a trail at a more kid-friendly speed, meaning, anything but standing still.

The sun had come out that day, thus giving my kids an opportunity to see the color "blue" in the sky. You know, "something other than gray."

It was also a clear day, which around here is as exciting as seeing a double rainbow. From up high we could see Mount St. Helens, which is always a treat. I may or may not have shouted "THE MOUNTAIN IS OUT!!!" at an inappropriate volume, I don't know, ask the kids, but sometimes I can't contain all the excitement.

If you wonder why the magnolia trees aren't pictured, it's because they hadn't quite bloomed in time for the official Guided Tour. Shame on you trees. Get your schedule lined up for the sake of all that is good and timely. The trails were lovely this time of year, I will admit, and we had ourselves a nice hour or so amongst the trees.