Saturday, May 5, 2012

Snippets From The Week: The May 5, 2012 Edition

I was looking at a book about planes and the Suz came up and said, "What's that, Mom?" And I said, "It's a Concorde." She replied, "Oh! Concord! Like the church song, 'Concord the grapes!'" And then she went on to sing, "He concord the grapes, Jesus concord the grapes!"

----------

"Ravioli" has long been a favorite word at our house. With the boys it was "rall-ee-OH-vee" or some variation thereof. Not for the Suz. If she can't think of or pronounce a word, she just replaces it with another.

One night we were having ravioli and corn for dinner and Campers shouted out, "Hey, can I have some corn?!" And the Suz quickly added to that, "And some PILLOWS too!"

----------

While we were in San Francisco, we'd be out and about and the Suz would ask over and over again, "When are we going to San Francisco?" or "Can we go to San Francisco?" It took me a day or so, but I finally realized she thought "San Francisco" was our hotel. All week long she kept asking the same inane question, thus driving me nuts *and yet* delighting the strangers all around us. Finally, by the last day, when I said for the eighteenth gazillion time, "SAN FRANCISCO IS A CITY," she said, "Oh! Yeah! A city!" And then I finally had the satisfaction that the concept had sunk in.

Fast-forward a few weeks. I must have been talking to the boys about this-and-such which we saw in San Francisco, and the Suz flew out of her room and hollered, "MOOOOOOOOMMM!! SAN FRANCISCO IS A HOTEL!!" And then she huffed a bit and went back to her room.

And now you see that there's indeed an alternate universe and she's living smack dab in the middle of it.

----------

Recently we had a homeschool event where the five-and-under crowd stayed back to play while the older kids went off and had an art class. Part of the play time included stories, show-n-tell, and crafts about hats. When one of the hats was displayed for the kids to guess what it was, Suz buzzed up her hand and answered, "It's a PARLOR hat!" To which I muttered to the gal sitting next to me, "Sure. For when we sit in our parlor." I had no idea what she meant by "parlor hat," but that's nothing unusual. [See: alternate universe.]

A few days later, we got to talking about the Suz's upcoming birthday, and she asked, "Will I get to wear a parlor hat?!" And then we realized, AH YES, a "parlor hat" was really a "party hat" that you wear when it's someone's birthday. CASE CLOSED.

----------

I caught a conversation between the boys when they clearly didn't know I was listening in.

Zig:  "I finally figured out what Mom and Dad do after we go to bed."

Campers, with great interest:  "What?!"

Zig:  "Eat cereal."

----------

Susie is still working through the story of how she and other babies have come into the world. Tonight she gave me the latest life plan.

"First I'll get married. Then I'll find a baby and take it to China. Next the baby'll get needles in its head* and then I'll bring it back!"

And just when I was taking a breath to explain that the little trip to China wasn't all that necessary, the girl went on with her plan.

"I wonder how many kids I will have?! Oh! Millions! Millions of kids!"


[*Suz has pictures of us with her at the orphanage with IV antibiotics going in through her scalp.]

----------