Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Best Washing Gig In Town

On Memorial Day weekend, I stuck a load of laundry in my washer (that came with the house--no great deal there!) and it soon sounded like a 747 was landing at the door. Pa immediately said, "You will NOT use that washer. Ever. Again." The washer has squeaked and danced like a salsa girl since we first moved in, so we knew it was just a matter of time before the thing went kaput. 

Fortunately, the stores were having great sales during the holiday weekend, so we flew out the door the next day and had a new washer picked out and bought within five minutes. Easy come, easy go. 

I had to think for a minute or two if I wanted to spend the extra money to get the pedestal that sits under the machine. But when I went over to the salesman to see about the price, I couldn't think of the word "pedestal," so I simply said, "Hey, how much is the.... booster seat that sits under the washer?" Well, I wasn't really trying to be funny, but the guy got to laughing and said that was the first he's ever heard it called that. What can I say. I was channeling my mom.

Anyway. Because everyone and their mother had the same idea to shop the holiday sales--it took a few days for the washer to arrive. You should have seen our pile of laundry. Wow. Mt. Washmore, for sure. As soon as the helpful, handy men got the washer hooked up, I had that thing on super-test and got us all caught up. The kids were fascinated by the machine and watched it spin *the entire fifty-eight minutes* the first load ran. And at the end--the washer does not buzz--it jingles a little tune. I still catch them dancing to that music. Cute one, Samsung.

I'm very glad to have a front-loading machine now as our water bill is *insane.* Hundreds, people, hundreds. According to the internet, which is never wrong, my new washer will cut water usage by 63%. To which Pa replied, "Great! I can now take longer showers." 

Even the cat loves the washer. He'll sit and watch the front-loader spin til he can't watch it spin any longer. You're welcome, cat. I bought it just for you.