I've been asking people around town where the best Chinese restaurant is in our city. Without a doubt, they all name the same one: Wong's King.
So, I've just been waiting for a special occasion to go there.
Gotcha Day + Two Years seemed special enough to me! Plus we had our friends in from out of town, and eating Chinese food with them just seemed right.
As you can see, my three kids were in fiiiine form. As usual.
In true Chinese style, the posted opening hour for this restaurant was 10:00 AM, but we showed up a half-hour early and people were already seated and being served.
I love that!
It just makes me laugh at all the other more Americanized businesses, where customers have to stand outside and peer through the window while the employees wait til the last. possible. second. to open the doors.
And when we walked in that restaurant--I'm not kidding you--it was like we had transported ourselves to China. I had no idea such a place existed in our city, but I was happy to find out that it did.
The feel of the restaurant was just like so many of those we ate at when we traveled in China. Most American Chinese restaurants are decorated in teal, silverware is set at the table, the wait staff speaks English, and the customers are white.
At this one? The wait staff spoke Chinese, chopsticks were set at the tables, the customers were Chinese, and each large, round table had--my favorite--the lazy susan.
Sigh...
We went for dim sum right when they opened on a Saturday morning, and the place was hopping. It was crazy! Crazy fun!
During the dim sum hours (kinda like the Chinese version of "teatime"), the wait staff pushes around carts of hot foods--most of them involving dough wrapped around some kind of sweet or savory filling. The idea is to take little trays of this and that, all throughout the "meal."
All five of the kids were real troopers at trying new things, even when we had no clue what we were asking for off those carts.
It was all part of the adventure! Just like in China--where we would eat first and ask questions...never.
So, I've just been waiting for a special occasion to go there.
Gotcha Day + Two Years seemed special enough to me! Plus we had our friends in from out of town, and eating Chinese food with them just seemed right.
As you can see, my three kids were in fiiiine form. As usual.
In true Chinese style, the posted opening hour for this restaurant was 10:00 AM, but we showed up a half-hour early and people were already seated and being served.
I love that!
It just makes me laugh at all the other more Americanized businesses, where customers have to stand outside and peer through the window while the employees wait til the last. possible. second. to open the doors.
And when we walked in that restaurant--I'm not kidding you--it was like we had transported ourselves to China. I had no idea such a place existed in our city, but I was happy to find out that it did.
The feel of the restaurant was just like so many of those we ate at when we traveled in China. Most American Chinese restaurants are decorated in teal, silverware is set at the table, the wait staff speaks English, and the customers are white.
At this one? The wait staff spoke Chinese, chopsticks were set at the tables, the customers were Chinese, and each large, round table had--my favorite--the lazy susan.
Sigh...
We went for dim sum right when they opened on a Saturday morning, and the place was hopping. It was crazy! Crazy fun!
During the dim sum hours (kinda like the Chinese version of "teatime"), the wait staff pushes around carts of hot foods--most of them involving dough wrapped around some kind of sweet or savory filling. The idea is to take little trays of this and that, all throughout the "meal."
All five of the kids were real troopers at trying new things, even when we had no clue what we were asking for off those carts.
It was all part of the adventure! Just like in China--where we would eat first and ask questions...never.
It was all part of the adventure! Just like in China--where we would eat first and ask questions...never.
All in all...it was a fun meal and I feel very blessed to have shared that little piece of China with my girl and with her friends.
More to come.
All in all...it was a fun meal and I feel very blessed to have shared that little piece of China with my girl and with her friends.
More to come.