Friday, January 13, 2012

Bread-Making Class

Our local library had a program recently where kids could show up and make a miniature loaf of bread. Now, I realize I'm becky homecky enough to do this gig at home, but do the kids reeeeally need more exposure to the fun-sucking mom? I vote "no." Besides, I couldn't believe the library would actually allow flour and water and pasty dough to get on their carpet, and I had to see this thing for myself. Indeed.

There was a Real Live Cookbook Lady heading up the lesson, and she was great with a room full of flour-covered kids. I had one of those kids myself, and I'll just let you guess who couldn't keep from mowing the flour all over the table and (subsequently) into her lap. Never fear, though. Fun-sucking mom appeared.

When the Cookbook Lady told the kids to knead the bread, little Zig started kneading it like a kitten. Come now, that was cute, if not mostly ineffective.

And Campers, being a goofball, had put a bug-eyed smiley face at the end of his nametag. Well, when Cookbook Lady went to call on him, she read his name as "Cam-oo." Not sure why that struck us as funny, but it did, and so my boy now has a nickname that rhymes with "Shamu." Yet again, the library has added so much to our lives.