Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In Pursuit Of Emory Parady

Never did I think that when we started studying the Civil War last spring did I imagine we'd still be unionizing and confederatizing this winter. But alas, it's a big ol' war, with studios filled with fabulous prizes. And besides, Lincoln was DA MAN. So the Civil War is worth spending a little time on.

Seeing as we're nowhere near the great battlefields out east, the kids have asked what role Oregon played in the war. Well, after a little sleuthing around, I discovered that one of the men who captured The Evil Assassinator John Wilkes Booth is buried just ten minutes from our house. Huh! Who knew? So we took a little field trip one afternoon to see Emory Parady's grave, which is inscribed as follows:


Member Co. H, 16th NY Cavalry
One of the 26 enlisted men who captured John Wilkes Booth,
the assassin of President Lincoln.

As we were leaving, I told the kids they were fortunate to pop into a cemetery *just like that* to see a little piece of history. They wholeheartedly agreed, or maybe they were just glad to be out in the fresh, cold air. We finished our living history lesson with a stop by the bakery for a box of glazed donuts. Just what Emory Parady would have wanted.