Monday, January 9, 2012

The Dam Tour

The boys and I have been doing a unit study on electricity and magnetism. I'll often pause while I'm reading aloud, trying to make sense of flying electrons and currents and outlets and how all that adds up. Campers finally looked at Zig one day and said, "I think school is mostly for mom, and we just tag along." 

Oh, they think they're so funny. (I still can't explain the difference between AC and DC, except I know they're a band from the 80s, whose music likely killed whatever brain cells my future self would need for explaining, well, AC/DC.)

We've talked in excess about hydroelectricity, so it was due time for a trip to our local dam. I even convinced Pa to come along, because who can resist an afternoon making dam jokes? Certainly not us. And if you think we can turn on the Dam Access Road and not milk that for all it's worth, well, you know us not at all.

The dam is out on the Columbia, so we got to drive through the gorge on what ended up being a sunshiny day. Nothing better than a dry day of sunshine during a Pacific Northwest winter. And seeing as it was a Monday in January, we had the place to ourselves. Even got a guided hour-long tour, for free, just to ourselves. We saw turbines, salmon climbing their fish ladder, and sea lions who'd come too far upriver (not joking--still in shock that there were sea lions! in the river!). 

We also got to ride the longest escalator that exists this side of the Mississippi. That baby was six stories long and took 90 seconds from start to finish. Not kidding! It's like Disney!

Hope you enjoy the pics from our dam tour.