It'd been a while since the boys had had swim lessons, so I figured it was time to sign them up for five weeks of crazy. Here they are waiting for their first class to begin:
By the way, that shot is one of my all-time favorites of those two. They are honestly the best buds, BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, and that picture captures that fact. *love*
Campers was, to say the least, freaked out about taking his first class in the deep end. Don't tell him this, but nine feet of water would FREAK THE EVER-LOVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME, TOO. So, the ten-session class was a stretch for me while I watched him face his fear of deep water. Over time, he made progress and is at the point where he can swim on his front and on his back for at least ten feet. I believe he has to do that for 20 feet in order to move up to the next level of class. Baby steps. I sure was proud of him, though.
The Zig, being the "relaxed" child, takes to water like a fish, and was SO SUPER EXCITED to jump in the pool each time. The next class he'll take will be the one where he starts learning to swim on his front and on his back. Here he is learning to float:
What makes me so happy about my boys is that they were both a delight for their teachers to have in the class. I always worry about that sort of thing, being their full-time teacher and all, and seeing them as they are (!!!) day in and day out. Pa and I are quick to point out to our kids that their character towards the teacher and the other kids in the class is a bazillion times more important than their side-breathing and kicks. Every now and then I see a small glimmer of hope that our sermonizing just might be paying off.
This was not the case up to age four, let me assure you.
For the most part, Pa and I took turns taking the kids to their evening lessons, but one night we made it a family affair:
The Suz is just chomping at the bit to get in the pool -- and she'll start her first lessons (free ones!) in a couple of weeks. That, my friends, is going to be a sight for us to see.