Saturday, February 18, 2012

Snippets From The Week: The February 18, 2012 Edition

It's not unusual to sit down for a family meal, and have the Suz spend the first five minutes talking. I guess a) she hates the silence and b) she knows that while the rest of us value eating, she values talking and is hungry for attention even more. Anyway, one lunch time she started her meal with a song about the colors of the rainbow, and did you know there were seven colors, and I saw a show about that, and won't Dad be proud, and sing sing sing, talk talk talk, on and on it went until she finally said, "Whew! I need to stop talking cuz my tummy says it's hungry!" 

To which Campers replied, "Great. Now her stomach is talking, too."

----------

I asked Campers to take his dirty dishes to the sink, and not thirty seconds later he said, "Mom? What'd you ask me to do?" So I reminded him (nothing new), and he went on to explain that there's long-term memory, short-term memory, and mom-term memory. "Mom-term memory," he said, "is like short-term memory, only shorter." Good to know where I rank.

----------

The Suz keeps telling me the word "drink" is spelled with a "g." I couldn't figure that out, and couldn't figure that out and then finally one day I heard her say the word, "jrink." Huh. No wonder my girl can't spell. Might be that NONE OF US CAN SPEAK.

----------

I was reading this elaborate story to the Suz about a man who worked in the storeroom at the emperor's palace. I kinda gathered that she wasn't trekking along with the story, so to check her comprehension, I asked what the man did at work. Her answer? "Dwink coffee." This all harkens back to the day she told me what Pa does all day: "He goes to wook, does stuff, and dwinks coffee!" No wonder he's exhausted.

----------

I've discovered that the Suz has a rather, how shall we say, "interesting" take on the world, including her vocabulary. And with her--if she doesn't know the meaning of a word, she just makes something up and to her, it is RIGHT. I asked her recently what the word "rich" meant. "Happy!" she says. So then I asked her what "poor" meant. "Sad!" I told her otherwise, but I'm guessing she'll still hold strong to her own definitions.

Pa and I used to joke that it'd be "fun" (read: twisted) when we had kids to mess with their vocabulary, for example, call a banana an "apple," call a pair of socks "shoes," and on and on and on. Apparently our fate had been set.

----------