Monday, February 20, 2012

The Tooth, It Fell Out

If there's one thing our Zig does well, it's to take his time with things. We know that at the first sign of a loose tooth, we're looking at MONTHS before the thing is finally out. He'll wiggle the tooth, but in reality, he prefers to wait for the permanent tooth to completely shove the baby one out of his mouth. Lately his front tooth has been hanging by a thread for what felt like weeks, and then one morning, he woke up and it had dropped right onto his pillow. No effort required. I assume the tooth had finally called "uncle."

Four baby teeth out; sixteen to go:

 

The Tooth Fairy always leaves a note (in my handwriting) and a pack of fun gum for each tooth. I've had this round's gum bought and set aside for weeks now. However, the Tooth Fairy got so busy and distracted with many things that it slipped her mind to do her duties. Of course, she didn't know this until she was greeted by a rather outspoken Zig, whose first words the next morning were, "THE TOOTH FAIRY DIDN'T COME! I AM VERY! DIS! APPOINTED!!!"

And of course I felt awful. Just awful. There were tears coming out of both of us. Of any child to let down, this one's the worst. I kid you not, I'll be hearing about The Time The Tooth Fairy Failed til the end of my life.  Maybe longer.

Fortunately, I came up with a plan (with help from Campers, who knew the situation was dire, simply dire--my firstborn was even offering me money, candy, you name it) to turn lemons into lemonade. I sat down and wrote five little clues and made the trek to the "loot" a scavenger hunt. Plus I might have put some extra candy in with the gum. And paper hearts. Lots of paper hearts. But I didn't try to buy my boy's forgiveness. I didn't. Happily, that seemed to soothe the pain and Campers has decided he wants the Tooth Fairy to fail when it's his turn to lose a tooth. See what fun we're having?!