Went to my neighborhood Asian market the other day. Was looking for a mangosteen to give to my lived-in-Thailand-but-is-quite-Caucasian friend for her birthday.
Decided to stop and ask the cashier who is a friendly gal of course, but does speak a good amount of Chinglish.
Conversation:
Ma: "Yes...I'm looking for a 'mangosteen.' Do you have any of those?"
Her: "Uhhh...What ees it?"
Ma: "It's a fruit."
Her: "Flesh?"
[Big pause as I look at her in confusion, wondering why she is asking me about 'flesh.' Have we moved on to meat? Does she think I'm asking about a cut of meat?? Oh dear. This is not good.]
And then, after an "aha" moment, using my best "shouting" voice, as is necessary when speaking to someone with a different native tongue, I say:
Ma: "OH!!!! FRESH!!!!!!! Yes, it's a fresh fruit."
Her: "No, no, we done haf enny ting like dat."
Oh, I love me some Asians, and some good conversations in Chinglish.
Decided to stop and ask the cashier who is a friendly gal of course, but does speak a good amount of Chinglish.
Conversation:
Ma: "Yes...I'm looking for a 'mangosteen.' Do you have any of those?"
Her: "Uhhh...What ees it?"
Ma: "It's a fruit."
Her: "Flesh?"
[Big pause as I look at her in confusion, wondering why she is asking me about 'flesh.' Have we moved on to meat? Does she think I'm asking about a cut of meat?? Oh dear. This is not good.]
And then, after an "aha" moment, using my best "shouting" voice, as is necessary when speaking to someone with a different native tongue, I say:
Ma: "OH!!!! FRESH!!!!!!! Yes, it's a fresh fruit."
Her: "No, no, we done haf enny ting like dat."
Oh, I love me some Asians, and some good conversations in Chinglish.