Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Music Class

Our city's symphony travels about and does these little lesson type gigs four times each year, aimed at the grade school audience. And glory hallelujah, our local public school allowed this Ma and two of her Mama-lings to pass its sacred doors.

Campers and Zig tagged along with me on my field trip (aren't they gracious), wearing their Aren't We Geeks To The Core Matching Shirts.

We are high class, for sure.

Well, at least it wasn't the Batman shirt. And no kidding, I had to make a Superhero-sized promise that Zig would get to put his Everyday Attire Back On As Soon As We Walked In The Door (which he did).

So here's the Campers, Teacher's Pet Deluxe:



I mean, what other kid would request to sit by his teacher?

Yep, mine.

So this music lesson was all on the percussion family of instruments, specifically using the kind of instruments that can be found in a home:



In the picture above, I believe the musical ditty showcased a kitchen chair, a cabinet door, and some wooden toy blocks.

And below is the plastic number, where the instruments were many things, but shown are plastic bags and water bottles:



It was entertainment at its finest. It's not like my boys needed the encouragement to "make noise" with "things around the house." But nonetheless, they enjoyed the program and so did I.

On another note.

No pun intended.

(None taken!)

It was nice to be out in public, that place we try to go to at least once every six months or so. There were probably about 50 other kids in the audience, and of those--(I counted!)--there were three Caucasians. (Not including us.) And it wasn't red and yellow, black and white. It was reddish-yellow, blackish-white, and every other conceivable color in the rainbow we call "race." (No green skinned kids, though.) And seeing that sparked a moment of contentment in me, knowing that Pa and I had desired to live amongst such diversity for a while. So it was great to get out, and get some edge-yoo-ma-kay-shun in the process, of the musical, intellectual, and social varieties.

Now pardon me while I hide all things made of wood or plastic from the boys.