Thursday, January 8, 2009

Apple Tasting: Part 2

I'd never been to an apple tasting before. Actually, I've never been to any kind of tasting event, unless you count "potlucks." However, I don't think I'd classify my potluck behavior as "tasting."

Gorging, maybe, but not tasting.

So.

We were all super excited about this little eatin' fest. Each kind of apple was cut up into bite-sized pieces, and the crowd just mooooooooooved its way down the line, stabbing the apples with toothpicks as they went.


And even though Suz couldn't see the table, you'd better believe she wasn't gonna miss out on any of the apple tasting action:



You know, until I'd tasted 60+ kinds of apples one right after another, I'd never thought that the flavors could be so varied. Of course, we had plenty of jokes to make about the exotic "Red Delicious," but really, most of the kinds we tried were new to us.

As Pa and I are wont to do, we entertained ourselves with a running commentary over Every. Single. Apple.

Hard to imagine, I know.



Once we got to roughly the 40th apple, we started to feel a little bit like this:



Our commentary quickly moved from "now wasn't that a delightfully sweet taste" and onto "I...can...barely...put another...apple...into...my mouth."



Even the kids were complaining of not feeling so well.

But by golly!

Those apples were free!

We were going to eat until we puked!

Or else!

So we kept going, clear until the end of the line. Truthfully, we have never craved a juicy cheeseburger more so than at that moment right there.

But as they say, an apple (or eight) a day turns the face a nice gray.

(One more apple post to come.)