Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Day: Part 7

Pa's one request for this year's Christmas gifts was that the kids have "something to do" on Christmas Day.

"Brilliant plan!" I thought.

So I went to JoAnn Fabrics where they were having a sale, a gloooorious sale on all things crafty. I loaded up on kits and kats and things like that.

Come Christmas Day, the kids were so! happy! with! their! wood! car! kits!

So happy that they decided to let Pa do the work:



By himself.

And since the craft kits were of such high quality (*COUGH*), Pa even went so far as to break several of the smaller wood pieces as he did his work.

THAT got the Christmas Spirit a goin'.

And since we couldn't leave well enough alone, I decided to "keep the kids busy" working on the sun catcher kits:



The boys were able to help out with those, though. That is, if you happen to define "help out" as "bump the table 87 and 35 hundred times."

I suppose when the package says "8 years old and up," that it's probably not the best gift choice for a seven-year-old and his four-year-old boy.

Mmmm-hmmm.

And those kits were so well made that the metal piece didn't sit flat, which meant that both the Pa and I had to take two to three turns (EACH!) trying to get the little balls of color in the right spot.

To make the story even worse, one of the kids (still not sure who, probably "the ghost child" as s/he's coming to be called) went and LOST one of the sun catchers.

Excellent.

So.

Pa and I have decided that next year the kids are getting movies.

LOTS OF 'EM.

And they're going to watch them back-to-back until Pa and I have reached a chocolate-induced coma.

Bliss.