Friday, December 7, 2007

This Ma Roasting By An Open Fire

One branch of the rescue mission that Pa works for is the ministry to women and children. The facility that houses these women and children is top-notch and classy, and restorative to the soul.

I am thinking of moving in.

Ha! Just kidding.

But anyway, apart from the building, the ministry itself is successful in creating true life change in the lives of these families. The director has a great vision for outreach and carries out the work of the mission with excellence.

So when an opportunity came up to help "deck their halls," I jumped at the chance.

Because they don't call me Becky Homecky for nothing.

And it was a night out with Other Adults.

Oh! And of course the privilege of interacting with the moms and their kids. And wouldn't you know, they were a lot like me. Only they were slightly more normal.

So I ended up in the family room, decorating the mantle.

And you can imagine my surprise when I was handed my decor, and it was fresh greenery and fresh holly and fresh ivy.

As if I even knew that "fresh" holly and ivy existed.

But the scratch marks on my hands are proof that it was real. So one gal said, "Yeah, I just plucked that off my tree before I came."

Mmmm-hmmmm. This ain't the Midwest, I can tell you that.

So this other gal said to me, "You know, I have never seen ivy with leaves shaped just like that!"

And I said, "I've never seen ivy that wasn't plastic!"



And after a couple of hours, the whole place was decorated. Then our group shared some cookies (and my infamous veggie tray) and Christmas stories with the ladies and their kids.

And I was glad to be a part. One of the many reasons why I Heart My City.