Sunday, February 3, 2008

Flashback February: Day 3, Part 4

(One year ago this month, Pa and I made the trek to China to adopt our sweet Sister Susie. I am going to take the first seventeen days of February 2008 to revisit that trip. Hop in for the ride!)

Now ordinarily, I do not like to do a "meet and greet" with the meat I'll soon be eating. But alas, we were in China.

Behold, the "Peking Duck:"



Which, and I think you will agree, was not doing a whole lot of "peeking" at that particular moment.

But you can't be in Beijing and miss out on this particular "delicacy," so try it we did.

Along with a whole table-full of other good eats:



Which reminds me!

Nothing says "mealtime efficiency" like The Lazy Susan! That circular gal served up family-sized dishes of mystery meats and veggie treats. All we had to do was fling that dumbwaiter around, and "voila!" Dinner was served.

(And lest you think I have insulted both Susan and our sweet Asian servers, you'd be wrong.)

So here's part of our gang (I'm in the red--no, the other red), sitting at a table for ten:



And I'll set my snarky kick aside for a moment and say: It was so enjoyable to eat with such fine folks, day in and day out. Joking and cackling, tasting and trying. Sharing our food; sharing our lives.

It was good to be in China.

With friends.