Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Flashback February: Day 5, Part 1

(One year ago this month, Pa and I made the trek to China to adopt our sweet Sister Susie. I am going to take the first seventeen days of February 2008 to revisit that trip. Hop in for the ride!)

Here I am, in the hotel room on our last night in Beijing:



And yes, I am typing some words. Lots of words. Always got somethin' to say.

That might surprise you.

But anyway.

We had returned from the long winter's nap, aka "The Acrobat Show," just in time to pack our bags and send them out the door.

Yes, our flight was THAT early. So early, in fact, that our guides had our luggage checked in at the airport while we were back at the hotel "sleeping."

You see those comfy beds?

Didn't much need them. Kinda hard to sleep when yer frettin' about missing the flight AND freaking out over "tomorrow" and "getting" and "baby."

But we did catch our flight, and Pa here shows his utter enthusiasm over airline food-in-a-box:



And speaking of that flight...in the 3 1/2 hours I had to stew over the matters at hand, I had plenty of time to play my own little version of duck duck goose.

In my head, of course.

(And you thought YOU were a few grains short of a rice bowl.)

Only instead of "duck duck goose," it was--"black black bald."

(Speaking of heads, here.)

"Black black black black black black bald."

Not too hard to pick out the Tourists.

And speaking of Totally Cool Travelers, check out this gang, having just stepped off the flight:



Now this isn't the norm, but *we* were the *lucky* group that got to head directly from the airport to the place we would meet our babies.

No rinsing off the slime...no brushing the teeth...no unpacking...no prepping for that babe...

If we all look a bit shocked in this shot--it's because we are:



That was One Quiet Bus Ride from the airport to our babes.

It's a weird thing, this "giving birth" with others. Eight families formed this small group of people who were all headed to the same province, the same town, to complete their adoptions. We had waited nearly two years for this day.

We were excited. We were scared.

We were ready to see our girls.