Tuesday, October 9, 2007

First Time Fliers

There's just something exciting about taking two boys on their first flight. Campers was especially delighted and mature in behavior, Ziggy was enthralled but quickly grew fuss-buskety antsy-pantsy, and Sister Susie, well...let's just say our friends at American Airlines are not thinking too highly of the cute little Asian on board. I mean, I don't know whose baby that was sitting beside me who decided to howl during most of the first four-hour flight, but really, someone should have stuck a cork in her. Or at least some stale pretzels.


The second flight was much more enjoyable, from *my* perspective. It was shorter in duration (1 1/2 hours), I got to read more than four pages in my magazine AND chew bubble gum without Pa sitting close enough to comment on the snapping and slurping sounds, Sister Susie slept the whole time, and the boys were well-behaved. It helped that the turbulence was especially turbulence-y, which scared the boys into sitting still and praying for their dear lives, but hey, it worked for me. Thank the Lord for a few bumps in the road. Or sky, as the case may be.


But at the end of the day, flying is just plain fun, minus all the parts like carrying all the kids stuff AND a carseat AND two big suitcases AND two big backpacks AND pushing a stroller through O'Hare all the while explaining why we have to take our shoes off because there could be bombs in them and yes, we have to dump the water out of your precious sippy cups and no, you cannot go pee on the plane while the seatbelt light is on.


Which reminds me, in our flying stupor, Pa and I realized that both boys ended up in the airplane potty room at the same time, without either one of us. Yes, we were close to the bathroom, and yes, they locked themselves in, and no I really don't want to know what they were doing in there or what they touched, but it all worked out okay in the end.

And we never needed the barf bags, hallelujah, so I'd call it a success in my book.


So there ends the first flight for the boys. A true adventure.

Co-Captain Ziggy and Captain Campers

A rare, happy moment: Sister Susie and Ma