Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Heart Of It All

In my quest for some spicy stir fry seasonings, the kind to make your head sweat and your nose run, I found the closest Asian grocery—which happens to be "the largest Asian shopping center in the state"about five minutes away.


And then I drove there, strolled inside, and had one of those “wow” kinds of moments. It smelled just like China. And there were aisles and aisles of Asian seasonings, vegetables, and sauces, not to mention the 50 pound bags of rice and the chopsticks and the woks.


To you, this is probably one of those really dumb things, but to me, I heard the voice of God say to me, “I did this for you.”

You see, in the whole city, there was only one house available to us, and it just happened to be in the Asian part of town. It just happened to be where many of the Asians live, and speak, and cook, and work. And because there’s a part of me who loves a little girl from China, that part of me embraces all things Chinese.

It’s funny that what once seemed so foreign to me, is something now familiar. And though I will never be Asian, I can at least be comfortable in their world.

So to my daughter who we brought to this city, I say: “I did this for you.”


Be blessed, my family, be blessed.