Wednesday, October 17, 2007

So My Gas Tank Was On Empty

Well now that we have our vehicle back, we are driving it, which means that it eventually needs to be filled with gas. I even waited until the FILL THE TANK YOU IDIOT light was on, which is something I would never have done before. I'm a keep-the-tank-at-least-half-filled-at-all-times kind of gal, lest some emergency arise where I have to drive halfway across the state to, um, rescue a beaver or something like that.

But there's the no-pumpy-yer-own-gas law, and that kept me away from the stations.

And about this law, this is what Wikipedia has to say about that:

All stations in the state, however, are mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. Both states prohibited self service in the 1940s due to fears that foolish customers would handle gasoline improperly. The state's Department of Environmental Quality has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline due to inexperienced pumpers being a significant source of groundwater and air pollution. The state fire marshal has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline. Today, these states enforce the law because of the rapid increase of drive-offs, where people fill up their car and drive away without paying for gas. In 1982, voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.

So I went back to the same 76 station, where Mr. Cuba was working again. But on this day, everyone and their mother decided that we must have gas now. So there was a long line, and only Mr. Cuba to fill us all up. Twelve pumps + One attendant = My 475/380 blood pressure reading.

There is just something very hard about sitting there and waiting. And waiting. And not getting out of the van, but just waiting. For someone else to come and fill the tank.

Y'all may be getting a lot of phone calls from me at the pump. Cuz I gotta do somethin'! And if I can't run out and pump my own gas, I might as well run my own mouth.

I had the whole system down to a science! I was the fastest pumper in the Midwest!

It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. But friends, you just wait! Winter is coming!! And maybe by then I will have at least learned to stick a book in the van. Maybe a book about patience.