
We did it! We did it!!!
New driver's licenses, that is. Both of us passed the first time.
There was no end to the teasing (from Pa and neighbors alike) that I received over studying the 120 page manual from the DMV. Sure, it took three or four hours of my time, all the while another member of this family, who shall remain unnamed, was watching Heroes and making snarky comments like "just take the online practice test and you'll be fine".
Yeah, something like that.
Oh, but when it comes time to head out to the DMV, somehow *I* was asked to go first. Mmmm-hmmmm.
So I took the test, and got a 90% (we needed an 80% to pass). The clerk who was assisting me said, "Wow, Most people don't usually pass the test their first time."
If you had looked up "smugness" in the dictionary about right then, my gloating face would have appeared. In about a 5x7.
I pranced myself home, and quickly announced my success.
To which Pa replied, "Okay, so tell me what I need to know."
Smirk smirk smirk.
But out of my deep kindness, mercy, and very large desire to not have to send Pa to the DMV 18 times, I clued him in on such things as don't honk at bicyclists, look to the right when someone is brighting you with their lights, and junk can be stuck out of your vehicle up to four feet from the front--but no more.
So he took the test, and none of my million clues were included in his questions.
But he still got a 100%.
This is the story of my life. He slouches around and gets the better grade. I study my eyeballs out, stress about the test for a month, and squeak by. Somehow this is not fair.
But the good news is, we both passed. And in our state, we won't have to renew for another eight years. What a relief!
PS: And for the fated picture, I wore the SAME shirt that I had on for my previous license, which was especially entertaining, because it was one of the three shirts I just rotate and rotate and everyone who knows me knows the three colors of those shirts. Red, pink, navy. I'd buy a couple of new shirts, but what is the fun in that??
New driver's licenses, that is. Both of us passed the first time.
There was no end to the teasing (from Pa and neighbors alike) that I received over studying the 120 page manual from the DMV. Sure, it took three or four hours of my time, all the while another member of this family, who shall remain unnamed, was watching Heroes and making snarky comments like "just take the online practice test and you'll be fine".
Yeah, something like that.
Oh, but when it comes time to head out to the DMV, somehow *I* was asked to go first. Mmmm-hmmmm.
So I took the test, and got a 90% (we needed an 80% to pass). The clerk who was assisting me said, "Wow, Most people don't usually pass the test their first time."
If you had looked up "smugness" in the dictionary about right then, my gloating face would have appeared. In about a 5x7.
I pranced myself home, and quickly announced my success.
To which Pa replied, "Okay, so tell me what I need to know."
Smirk smirk smirk.
But out of my deep kindness, mercy, and very large desire to not have to send Pa to the DMV 18 times, I clued him in on such things as don't honk at bicyclists, look to the right when someone is brighting you with their lights, and junk can be stuck out of your vehicle up to four feet from the front--but no more.
So he took the test, and none of my million clues were included in his questions.
But he still got a 100%.
This is the story of my life. He slouches around and gets the better grade. I study my eyeballs out, stress about the test for a month, and squeak by. Somehow this is not fair.
But the good news is, we both passed. And in our state, we won't have to renew for another eight years. What a relief!
PS: And for the fated picture, I wore the SAME shirt that I had on for my previous license, which was especially entertaining, because it was one of the three shirts I just rotate and rotate and everyone who knows me knows the three colors of those shirts. Red, pink, navy. I'd buy a couple of new shirts, but what is the fun in that??